The Estate and Environs
  East Gate House
West Gate House
Stables and Coach House
Power House and Engineer's House
The Palm House
Toolhouse and Potting Shed
The Ice House
The Bowling Alley
Laundry
The Farm and Later Artist Colony
Vanderbilt Tea House
Oakdale Railroad Station
Other Buildings in Idle Hour
The Mansion
  The First Mansion
The Second Mansion
Entrance Hall
Dining Room
Living Hall
Library
Queen Anne Salon
Corridor
Smoking Room
Cloisters
Palm Garden
Tennis Court & Cloister Wing
Staircase
The Second Floor
The Third Floor
Basement
Post Vanderbilt Years
Dowling College
Home > About Us > The Estate and Environs - East Gate House


The Estate and Environs
East Gate House

East Gate House For those arriving from the east at the Vanderbilt estate, the East Gate House, designed by Richard Morris Hunt, the Vanderbilt architect, was their first glimpse of the premises. Situated at the northeast corner of the estate, the two story English cottage is a well-survived example of the nineteenth century architecture favored by the Vanderbilts. A smooth brick first floor is topped by a half-timbered and stucco second floor. All windows are diamond pane casements. Constructed prior to 1888, the cost was reported to be $40,000.

The well across from the gate house marked the eastern end of the famous Century Run for cyclists at the turn of the nineteenth century. It was connected to the gate house by the elaborate Vanderbilt iron fence seven feet high supported by stone posts ten feet apart and lofty entrance gates, constructed at a cost of $28,000, which were installed in 1890. As thirsty cyclists reached the well, they would take a much-needed draught of water, sign a log at the gate house, and proceed on their return ride to Brooklyn.

It is said that Willie K. Vanderbilt, Jr., once took his school lessons in the East Gate House.

Through the years following the departure of the Vanderbilts, the Gate House has had a varied history: as a private home and real estate office for James Johnson, formerly in charge of the Vanderbilt stables; as a Dowling fraternity house; as a home and hair salon.

Today it still stands at the corner of Montauk Highway and Vanderbilt Boulevard as a gracious entry marker to the Idle Hour section of Oakdale.

Let's walk down the road to the West Gate House.