The Estate and Environs
  East Gate House
West Gate House
Stables and Coach House
Power House and Engineer's House
The Palm House
Toolhouse and Potting Shed
The Ice House
The Bowling Alley
Laundry
The Farm and Later Artist Colony
Vanderbilt Tea House
Oakdale Railroad Station
Other Buildings in Idle Hour
The Mansion
  The First Mansion
The Second Mansion
Entrance Hall
Dining Room
Living Hall
Library
Queen Anne Salon
Corridor
Smoking Room
Cloisters
Palm Garden
Tennis Court & Cloister Wing
Staircase
The Second Floor
The Third Floor
Basement
Post Vanderbilt Years
Dowling College
Home > About Us > Tennis Court & Cloister Wing


The Mansion
Tennis Court & Cloister Wing

In 1903, the architectural firm of Warren and Whetmore was employed to design an indoor tennis court and bachelor's quarters for additional guests, connected to the opposite end of the palm court. Twelve additional master bedrooms were in the cloister wing, where visiting bachelors were quartered. The indoor tennis court was a rarity, featuring a clay court, vaulted glass ceiling, cooling fountains carved in stone, and ivy climbing its walls.

Return To The Corridor
Return To The Entrance Hall