iPad Tips for Everyday Use
When the iPad recognizes that a URL is being entered, it automatically includes a .com key on the keyboard. If you hold down the .com key, you will get other options, such as .edu.
If you want to use the iPad for notetaking or even more intensive writing, you'll want to purchase a keyboard. If you want to use the iPad's built-in keyboard, just turn off Bluetooth under Settings, and the iPad will revert to it.
Yes, it's possible to grab screen shots of your iPad easily. Simply click the on/off button and the home button at the same time. This will take a picture of your screen and put it in the photos app.
There are two ways to access Dowling Email on the iPad: Safari or Mail. Neither is perfect, but both are workable. One thing to keep in mind is that sending email through Mail when you are not on campus doesn't always work. So, if you are off-campus, you will most probably want to use Safari for your Dowling email.
Safari and WebMail
- Go to http://email.dowling.edu
- Enter username and password as usual
- Check Use the basic interface.
- Open Settings
- Select Mail, Contacts, Calendars
- Add Account
- Add Other
- Add Mail Account
You do not have to enter all of the fields shown. The required ones are listed below.
- Address - Enter your full email address, i.e., firstname.lastname@example.org
- Password - Enter your network password
- Select Next
- It will check your email address and open a new page with IMAP selected.
Again, you do not have to fill out every field.
- Host Name: imap.dowling.edu (This is the same for both incoming and outgoing)
- User name
- Select Next
Leave the machine alone while this gets set up. It will come back with a message "Cannot Connect Using SSL." Click Yes to set it up without that. It can take up to 10 minutes for all of it to work.