Research Leadership Learning Podcast
Welcome to the Research Leadership Learning Podcast from Dowling College's Research Leadership Learning Center.
On this podcast we explore many fields of knowledge related to leadership in social agencies, bringing you conversations with teachers, principals, superintendents and others working in and around the Long Island region, including Dowling faculty and Dowling doctoral candidates. By sharing research and knowledge from the field, we hope to develop a profound human awareness among leaders of social agencies in Nassau and Suffolk Counties and beyond.
Children With Autism
Shownotes with related links:
Attorney Edward Nitkewicz (Nitkewicz & McMahon, LLP) and Bernadette Gabrielsen, current Dowling Ed.D. candidate, are both parents of autistic children. In this conversation with Dr. Bob Manley they share their experiences and advice, from recognizing and accepting the signs of autism to navigating the range of agencies and support services available on Long Island. They also decipher a number of the technical terms involved- everything from Individualized Education Plans (IEP) and Committees for Special Education (CSE) to the Individuals With Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). They also discuss the role of a parent advocate in dealing with school districts and the importance of special education training for all members of the school community.
- Asperger Syndrome and High Functioning Autism Association (AHA)
- Behavioral Outreach Helping Hands
- The CODY Center for Autism and Developmental Disabilities
- The Fay J. Linder Center for Autism
- Independent Group Home Living (IGHL)
- The Individuals With Disabilities Education Act (IDEA)
- New York State Office of Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities (OMRDD)
- Parent to Parent of New York State
Music: Mozart's Oboe Quartet in F after K496 - Allegretto by American Baroque courtesy of Magnatunes