Research Leadership Learning Podcast
Welcome to the Research Leadership Learning Podcast from Dowling College's Research Leadership Learning Center.
On this podcast we explore many fields of knowledge related to leadership in social agencies, bringing you conversations with teachers, principals, superintendents and others working in and around the Long Island region, including Dowling faculty and Dowling doctoral candidates. By sharing research and knowledge from the field, we hope to develop a profound human awareness among leaders of social agencies in Nassau and Suffolk Counties and beyond.
Dr. Eric Shyman
Shownotes with related links:
On this episode, Dr. Richard Bernato discusses autism with Dr. Eric Shyman of Dowling's School of Education. Dr. Shyman discusses school responses to the challenge of serving students diagnosed with autism. The conversation includes the role of principals, clinicians, and classroom teachers as well as the diagnostic tools in use today. Dr. Shyman relates his experiences working in schools, the value of having a multidisciplinary team, what inclusion really involves, and how to find the right adult-to-student ratio in classrooms with autistic students.
For another perspective on autism, listen to our current Dowling Library podcast,Omnibus #65, discussing a recent anthology of poetry written by people dealing with autism in their lives.
- Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule (ADOS)
Information from the University of Michigan Autism & Communication Disorders Center
- Autism Spectrum Disorders from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Dr. Paul Offat
- Further reading:
- Fombonne, E. (2005). The changing epidemiology of autism. Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities, 18, 281-294
- Frith, U. (2004). Emmanuel Miller Lecture: Confusions and controversies about Asperger Syndrome. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 45(4), 672-686
- Rutter, M. (2005). Aetiology of autism: Findings and questions. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 49(4), 231-23
Music: Mozart's Oboe Quartet in F after K496 - Allegretto by American Baroque courtesy of Magnatunes