[advanced search]
Need help? Then chat with us

Long Island Estates

Barstow House
Now known as the "Merchant Marine Academy Museum" this estate was designed in Kings Point, NY by architect Greville Rickard in 1910. Associated family names: William S. Barstow and Frederick W.I. Lundy. Associated Institution Names: United States Merchant Marine Academy.
Added by DH

Belmont Lake House
The grounds of this Babylon, NY estate comprise Belmont Lake State Park. The original mansion was designed by the noted architect, Detlef Lienau in 1867 and was destroyed in the 1930's. The current mansion was built in 1935, and is home to the Headquarters of the Long Island Region of the New York State Department for Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. Associated family name: August Belmont, Jr. Associated institution name: New York State Department for Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation.
Added by DH

Broad Hollow
The grounds of this estate are now home to SUNY Old Westbury. The associated mansion did not survive. Associated family name: F. Ambrose Clark. Associated institution names: Meadow Brook Hounds, SUNY Old Westbury.
Added by DH

Castle Gould
This building was once contained the stables and carriages and servents' quarters for the Hempstead House estate. It is now part of the Sands Point Preserve. Designed by architect Augustus N. Allen in 1902 to look like Ireland's Kilkenny Castle. Associated family names: Howard Gould and Daniel Guggenheim. Associated institution names: United States Navy, Nassau County Department of Parks, Recreation and Museums.
Added by DH

Caumsett
Also known as the "Marshall Field Estate." It was built in Lloyd Harbor, NY in 1922 and was designed by architect John Russell Pope. Today the grounds serve as a State park. Associated family names: Marshall Field III.
Added by DH

Chelsea
Now part of the Muttontown Preserve in East Norwich, NY. The estate was built in 1924 and designed by the architects Delano & Aldrich. Associated family names: Benjamin Moore and Alexandra Emery Moore. Associated institution names: Nassau County Department of Parks, Recreation and Museums.
Added by DH

Chrysler Estate
Sometimes referred to as the "Bendel Estate," now known as "Wiley Hall," the administrative offices for the United States Merchant Marine Academy. It was built in 1916 and designed by architect Henry Otis Chapman, Sr. Associated family names: Henri Bendel and Walter P. Chrysler. Associated Institution names: United States Merchant Marine Academy.
Added by DH

Clayton
This estate was built in 1904 in Roslyn, NY and was designed by architect Ogden Codman, Jr. In 1917 the estate's facade was redesigned by architect Sir Charles Carrick Allow. It is now used as an art museum and sculpture garden by Nassau County. It is sometimes refered to as the "Frick Estate." Associated family names: Lloyd Stephens Bryce and Childs and Frances Frick. Associated institution names: Nassau County Museum of Art. To view more estate pictures go to Stone Caterers Nassau County Museum of Art Page Click on "our locations."
Added by DH

Coe Hall
Now known as "Planting Fields Arboretum", a State park. This estate was built between 1918-1921 by the architects Walker & Gillette in Oyster Bay, NY. Associated family names: William Robertson Coe and Mai Rogers Coe. Associated institution names: Planting Fields Arboretum.
Added by DH

Coindre Hall
Designed by architect Clarence Luce and built sometime between 1906 and 1911. Currently part of the Suffolk County Parks Department. Associated family names: George McKesson Brown. Associated institution names: Coindre Hall School. To view more estate pictures go to Lessing's Coindre Hall Page
Added by DH

Deepdale
Now known as the "Deepdale Golf Club." (Private, not open to the public.) The Lake Success, NY estate was built by the architects Warren & Wetmore in 1926. Associated family names: William K. Vanderbilt II. Associated institution names: Deepdale Golf Club. To view more estate pictures go to Village Club at Lake Success Click on "our locations." See also: Eagle's Nest.
Added by DH

Eagle's Nest
This Centerport, NY estate was built between 1910-1931 and was designed primarily by the architects Warren & Wetmore. Now used as a Suffolk County Park. Associated family names: William K. Vanderbilt II.Associated institution names: Vanderbilt Museum, Suffolk County. To view more estate pictures go to Lessing's Vanderbilt Mansion Page. See also: Deepdale.
Added by DH

Falaise
Built in 1923 and designed by Frederich Sterner, this estate is also part of the Sands Point Preserve. Associated family names: Harry F. Guggenheim, Caroline Morton, and Alicia Patterson.
Added by DH

Goldman House
The architect of this Plandome Manor, NY estate is not known, but it was built in 1927. It is now home to the Science Museum of Long Island and its grounds comprise the Leeds Pond Preserve. Associated family names: Herman Goldman. Associated institution names: Science Museum of Long Island, Nassau County Department of Parks, Recreation and Museums.
Added by DH

Hempstead House
This estate is part of the Sands Point Preserve. Hempstead House was built in 1901 and designed by architect Abner Haydel. Associated family names: Howard Gould and Daniel Guggenheim. Associated institution names: United States Navy, Nassau County Department of Parks, Recreation and Museums.
Added by DH

Hillwood
Now home to the administrative offices of C.W. Post, this estate was built between 1921-1931 and was designed by the architects Hart & Shape. Associated family names: Marjorie Merriweather Post. Associated institution names: Long Island University, C.W. Post Campus.
Added by DH

Idle Hour
Home to Dowling College in Oakdale, NY. The current mansion, now known as "Fortunoff Hall," was designed by architect Richard Howland Hunt in 1900-1901. The adjoining Tennis Court and Cloister Wing, now known as the "Kramer Science Center," was designed by the architects Warren & Wetmore in 1902-1904. Associated family names: William K. Vanderbilt, Alva Smith Vanderbilt Belmont, Harold S. Vanderbilt, Consuelo Vanderbilt, William K. Vanderbilt II, Dutch Schultz, and Robert W. Dowling. Associated institution names: Edmund G. & Charles F. Burke, Inc., Peace Haven - headquarters of the Royal Fraternity of Master Metaphysicians, National Dairy Research Labs, Adelphi Suffolk College, Dowling College. To view more estate pictures go to Lessing's Vanderbilt Mansion at Dowling Page. See also: Marble House and Belcourt Castle.
Added by DH

Indian Neck Hall
Also referred to as the "Bourne Estate," now the Oakdale, NY campus of St. John's University. Built between 1897 and 1919 and designed by architect Ernest Flagg. Associated family names: Frederick G. Bourne. Associated institution names: LaSalle Military Academy, St. John's University. To view more estate pictures go to Lessing's Bourne Mansion Page
Added by DH

Inisfada
Now known as the "Saint Ignatius Retreat House." (Private, not open to the public.) The estate was built in Manhasset, NY between 1916-1920, and was designed by architect John Torrey Windrim. Associated family names: Nicholas and Genevieve Brady. Associated institution names: St. Ignatius Jesuit Retreat House.
Added by DH

Killenworth
This Glen Cove, NY estate now serves as the retreat house of the Russian Delegation to the United Nations. (Private, not open to the public.) It was built in 1913 and designed by the architects Towbridge and Ackerman. Associated family names: George Dupont Pratt and Helen Sherman Pratt. Associated institution name: Russian Delegation to the United Nations.
Added by DH

Land of Clover
This St. James, NY estate is now home to the Knox School. (Private, not open to the public.) Built between 1912 and 1917, the estate was designed by the architects Peabody, Wilson and Brown and features an oval shaped riding stable. Associated family names: Lathrop Brown. Associated institution name: Knox School.
Added by DH

Mallow
Now known as the "East Woods School." (Private, not open to the public.) The estate was built in Oyster Bay, NY in 1918 and was designed by architect William Welles Bosworth. Associated family names: Walter and Mildred Farwell. Associated institution names: East Woods School.
Added by DH

Meadow Croft
Sometimes refered to as the "John E. Roosevelt Estate." It was designed by Isaac H. Green in 1891-1892. Meadow Croft is located in Sayville, NY and is part of the Suffolk County Sans Souci Lake Nature Preserve. Associated family name: John E. Roosevelt.
Added by DH

Meadow Edge
This estate was designed by architect Isaac Green in 1909. It is located in Sayville, NY and now houses the Suffolk County Parks Department, a golf course and the Maritime Museum. Associated family name: Anson Hard. Associated institution names: West Sayville Country Club, Lessing's West Sayville Country Club Page
Added by DH

Moore Estate
This estate is now a catering facility known as "Royalton." It was constructed between 1918-1922 in Roslyn Heights, NY by the architects Cross and Cross. Associated family name: Edward S. Moore. Associated institution names: Roslyn Country Club.
Added by DH

Muttontown Meadow
This estate is sometimes referred to as "Nassau Hall." It is home to the Long Island Community Foundation (Private, not open to the public.) and is on the grounds of the Muttontown Preserve in Syosset, NY. The house was designed by the architects Delano & Aldrich in 1903. Associated family names: Egerton and Emeline Winthrop Jr. and Lansdell and Helen Christie. Associated institution names: Nassau County Department of Parks, Recreation and Museums and the Long Island Community Foundation. A picture of the estate can be viewed on the Foundation's home page.
Added by DH

Netherlands
Now home to Hofstra University, the estate was built in Hempstead, NY in 1904-1005. It was designed by H. Craig Severance and is sometimes referred to as "Hofstra House." Associated family names: Van Wranken and Hofstra. Associated institution names: Hofstra.
Added by DH

Oheka
This estate was built between 1914-1919 by the architects Delano & Aldrich. It has the distinction of being the second largest private home in America. It is currently a hotel, spa and catering facility. Associated family names: Otto Hermann Kahn and Gary Melius. Associated institution names: New York City Sanitation Worker Rest Home, Eastern Military Academy.
Added by DH

Poplar Hill
Now known as the "Glengariff Health Care Center," (Private, not open to the public.) in Glen Cove, NY. It was designed by the architects Charles A. Platt and his sons, in 1917. Associated family name: Frederic B. Pratt. Associated institution names: Glengariff Health Care Center, Glenhaven Health Care Organization.
Added by DH

Rynwood
Now known as "Banfi Vintners." (Private, not open to the public.) Sometimes referred to as the "Salvage House," this Old Brookville, NY estate was built in 1927 and was designed by architect Roger H. Bullard. Associated family names: Sir Samuel Agar Salvage, Margaret Emerson (Widow of Alfred Gwynne Vanderbilt), Frederick W.I. Lundy, and John and Pamela Mariani. Associated institution names: Banfi Vintners. See also: Sagamore Historic Adirondack Great Camp.
Added by DH

Sagamore Hill
Built in 1885 and designed by architects Lamb & Rich, this house served as the Summer White House from 1902-1908. It is now a National Historic Site and it is located in Oyster Bay, NY. Associated family name: Theodore Roosevelt.
Added by DH

Sefton Manor
Now known as the Mill Neck School for the Deaf. (Private, not open to the public.) Also known as "Mill Neck Manor." This Mill Neck, NY estate was designed by architects Clinton & Russell, Wells, Holton & George in 1923. Associated family name: Lillian Sefton Thomas Dodge. Associated institution names: Mill Neck School for the Deaf.
Added by DH

Templeton
This estate is now known as the De Seversky Center and is located in Old Westbury, NY on the campus of the New York Institute of Technology. It was built between 1916 - 1918 by the architects Carrere and Hastings. The estate was originally known as "White Eagle." Associated family names: Alfred I. du Pont, Frederick E. Guest, Amy Phipps Guest, and Winston Guest. Associated institution names: New York Institute of Technology - De Seversky Center.
Added by DH

The Braes
Now home to the "Webb Institute for Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering." The estate was built Glen Cove, NY in 1912 as part of the Pratt family compound known as "Dosoris Park." It was designed by architect James Brite. Associated family name: Herbert L. Pratt. Associated institution names: Webb Institute.
Added by DH

The Chimneys
Now known as the "Community Synagogue" in Port Washington, NY. (Private, not open to the public.) Once known as the "Christian Holmes estate," it was built in 1930 and designed by the architect Edgar Williams. Associated family name: Christian Holmes. Associated institution names: United States Naval Devices, Community Synagogue.
Added by DH

The Hill
This Eaton's Neck, NY estate was built in 1902 by the architect Harry Ellingwood Donnell. It now serves as a bed and breakfast. Associated family names: Harry Ellingwood Donnell and Edward and Annette Carr. Associated institution names: Carr Bed and Breakfast.
Added by DH

The Manor
Also known as the "John Pratt House." Designed by architect Charles A. Platt, sometime before 1910 as part of the Pratt family compound known as "Dosoris Park". Associated family names: John Teele Pratt and Ruth Baker Pratt. Associated institution names: Harrison Conference Center, the Glen Cove Mansion.
Added by DH

Timber Point
This 1882 estate was built in Great River, NY. The mansion was renovated by the architects Hart and Shape in 1928 for its use as a country club. It is now a golf course, part of the Suffolk County Parks Department. Associated family names: William L. Breeze and Julian T. Davies. Associated institution names: Timber Point Club, Timber Point Golf Course, Suffolk County Parks Department. To view more estate pictures go to Lessing's Timber Point Country Club Page
Added by DH

Villa Carola
Now known as the "Village Club of Sands Point." (Private, not open to the public.) Designed by architect H. Van Buren Magonigle, the estate was built between 1916 - 1918. Sometimes referred to as the "Isaac Guggenheim Estate." Associated family name: Isaac Guggenheim. Associated institution names: IBM Country Club, Village Club of Sands Point.
Added by DH

Welwyn
Now known as the "Holocaust Memorial and Tolerance Center of Nassau County," the estate is located within the Welwyn Preserve in Glen Cove, NY. It was designed by the architects Babb, Cook & Welch in 1904. The mansion was modified by the architects Delano & Aldrich around 1920. Associated family names: Harold I. Pratt and Harriet Barnes Pratt. Associated institution names: Nassau County, Holocaust Memorial and Tolerance Center of Nassau County.
Added by DH

Westbrook
Sometimes refered to as the "Cutting Family Manor House." Today the grounds of the estate comprise the "Bayard Cutting Arboretum." Located in Great River, NY, it was designed by architect Charles C. Haight in 1886. Associated family names: William Bayard Cutting and Olivia Cutting. Associated institution names: Bayard Cutting Arboretum.
Added by DH

Westbury House
This estate is sometimes refered to as the "Phipps Estate" and is now known as "Old Westbury Gardens." It was designed by George A. Crawley and completed in 1906. Associated family names: John S. Phipps and Margarite Grace Phipps. Associated institution names: Old Westbury Gardens.
Added by DH

Winfield Hall
This Glen Cove, NY estate is still in private hands - it is not open to the public, but is now up for sale. It was built in 1917 and designed by the architect Charles P.H. Gilbert. Associated family names: Franklin W. Woolworth, Jennie Woolworth, Richard S. Reynolds, and Martin Carey. Associated institution names: Pall Corporation. For more information, see For a cool $19.5 million,a legend
Added by DH

Woodbury House
This estate is now used as a community center and park. It was built in 1915 by the architects Cross and Cross. Associated family names: James Watson Webb, Eleanor Havemeyer Webb, and Edward R. Tinker. Associated institution names: Syosset Community Center, Syosset-Woodbury Community Park.
Added by DH

Woodlands
This estate is also sometimes known as the "Bruce Estate" and it is currently a catering facility. It is located in Woodbury, NY and was designed by the architects Delano and Aldrich. Construction of this estate took place between 1912-1918. Associated family names: Victor Morawetz and Alissa Bruce.
Added by DH