New Turnitin Features
Turnitin has added a number of new features including:
Read the full descripton of all Turnitin updates
- Setting assignment-level defaults to exclude quoted material and bibliographies
- Setting assignment-level defaults to exclude small matches in a paper. The instructor can decide how small is small, either by number of words or what percent match in terms of the entire paper
General Guidelines and Tips
- Requesting a Turnitin Account
- If you are a Dowling faculty member and would like to use Turnitin for one of your classes here, email Chris Kretz, account administrator. He will add you to the account and you will receive an activation email from Turnitin with login instructions
you ever forget your password, use the password help link from Turnitin.com.
- Create a Class
the add a class link to create a new class.
- Each class you create
will have its own ID number (generated automatically) and password (you create
- and it's case sensitive). You must give this information to your students in
order for them to "join" your class and submit their papers.
default, students cannot view their originality reports.
- A class lasts
six months before it becomes inactive. You can still view it, but you cannot submit
papers. You can opt for a longer class time or reactivate an inactive class at
a later date.
- Create an Assignment
- Set deadlines for
submissions, including whether or not to accept late work.
types: you can create a revision assignment which will let students resubmit a
new draft of any previous assignment.
- Quick Submit
Submit lets you bypass the class/assignment route if you only have one or two
papers that you want to submit yourself.
- You must first activate Quick
Submit under your User Info section.
- You must have the paper
in electronic form either on a disk or on your hard drive.
- You can save or e-mail originality reports.
gives you the option to exclude material within quotations marks and items listed
in a bibliography.
- Make sure that your students
are aware that you are using Turnitin. It is recommended that you include it in
- Turnitin will alert you to sources that contain a degree
of matching text. The final determination of whether or not plagiarism has occurred
is up to the instructor.