Here are some suggestions for discouraging plagiarism before it starts:
- Educate students. Make sure they are aware of your expectations and that they are familiar with the College's Academic Honesty Policy as stated in the Student Handbook.
- Schedule an in-class demonstration of turnitin.com with a librarian.
- Review student drafts of an assignment during the course of the semester.
- Have students document their research progress - either in journal or essay form.
- Require students to use the most current research. Papers obtained through the paper mills are often betrayed by the age of their citations.
- Change assignments if you teach the same course from semester to semester.