Also known as the Security Building.
The Security Building, located on Central Boulevard, was formerly the engineerís residence for the Vanderbilt estate. It houses security services for all persons on all Dowling College properties and the student newspaper The Lionís Voice. Campus parking permits can be obtained here.
Engineer’s House - Side view
When the Vanderbilt family lived here, this structure was built directly across the street from the Power House, so the Engineer could be on call 24 hours per day. It was constructed in 1904.
Engineer’s House - Front view
Power House on the Left, Engineer’s House on Right
William K. Vanderbilt Historical Society,
S.G. Moore - Artist
Christmas Card 1977
Pen & Ink
Kachel Collection of Artist Colony Christmas Cards
Description Inside Card:
On December 23, 1900, steam from the W.K. Vanderbilt Power House was turned on for the first time and traveled through the 800-foot viaduct to heat all the rooms in the Vanderbilt mansion. All electrical connections were completed and 1000 lights in the mansion were energized. During construction of the Power House, W.K. Vanderbilt personally inspected preparations which included the installation of four nine-ton boilers and the engines.
Do you have information to add? Then please contact Diane Holliday.
Last Modified on April 02, 2014, at 01:02 PM by DH