The Ice House was constructed in 1890 by William Bason of Sayville. It was originally built without windows and with two-foot thick walls to store ice for the Mansion. It was converted for human use in the 1960′s and served as the President’s House for Allyn Robinson. It now serves as the home of the Music Department at Dowling College.
Read more about the history of the Ice House.
William K. Vanderbilt Historical Society,
Anthony (Moore) - Artist
Christmas Card 1971
Pen & Ink
Kachel Collection of Artist Colony Christmas Cards
Description Inside Card:
This original building, now the home of Dr. and Mrs. Allyn P. Robinson (Presdient of Dowling College), was built on the Idle Hour farm in 1900 by William Bason & Son of Sayville. The brick walls are two feet thick and the wooden hoist pole may still be seen at the peak of the roof. Into the west side of the building four doors were built, one on top of another, to make it readily available as the ice level lowered. In 1901 alone, over 100 tons of ice were placed in this building, cut from “Cuttings Pond” at West Brook Farms, East Islip.
Do you have information to add? Then please contact Diane Holliday.
Last Modified on April 02, 2014, at 01:03 PM by DH