Also known as the Performing Arts Center.
The Performing Arts Center, formerly the powerhouse for the Vanderbilt estate, provides exhibition and performance space for dance, music and theatre. The theatre area is equipped with flexible seating and stage, and sophisticated lighting to accommodate innovative as well as traditional production. The building includes a fully equipped music-dance studio and rehearsal rooms.
The Power House was constructed in 1900. It is believed to be designed by the architect Richard Howland Hunt. When it was built it contained four coal burning, nine ton boilers to supply power to the mansion.
Read more about the history of the Power House.
Entrance, PAC Center
Power House on the Left, Engineer’s House on Right
William K. Vanderbilt Historical Society,
S.G. Moore - Artist
Christmas Card 1977
Pen & Ink
Kachel Collection of Artist Colony Christmas Cards
Description Inside Card:
On December 23, 1900, steam from the W.K. Vanderbilt Power House was turned on for the first time and traveled through the 800-foot viaduct to heat all the rooms in the Vanderbilt mansion. All electrical connections were completed and 1000 lights in the mansion were energized. During construction of the Power House, W.K. Vanderbilt personally inspected preparations which included the installation of four nine-ton boilers and the engines.
Do you have information to add? Then please contact Diane Holliday.
Last Modified on April 02, 2014, at 01:04 PM by DH