Also known as the: Gerald & Rose Mary Curtin Student Center.
This building, formerly the carriage house of the Vanderbilt mansion, now serves as a student recreational facility. On the second floor of the Student Center is the Lionís Den, a student-built and sponsored lounge. The Lionís Den has become a popular gathering spot for students, faculty, and friends. On the first floor, the gym is the center for many intramural activities. The offices of the Athletics Coaches, Residence Life, Student Government Association, Recreation and Intramurals, Student Fitness Center and Facilities Services are located in the Student Center.
Front View - Curtin Student Center
When the Vanderbilt family lived here, this was the largest accessory building on the Idle Hour Estate. It was built in 1882 at a cost of more than $400,000.00 and was designed by the architect Richard Morris Hunt.
Read more about the history of the Coach House.
South facing side - Curtin Student Center
More of the South facing Side - Curtin Student Center
Stables and Coach House
Adelphi Historical Society,
S.G. Moore - Artist
Christmas Card 1970
Pen & Ink
Kachel Collection of Artist Colony Christmas Cards
Description Inside Card:
One of the original buildings in “Idle Hour”, the Carriage House was first mentioned in the New York Times account of the wedding of Mrs. William K. Vanderbilt’s sister Mary to Mr. Yznaga, a South American gentleman. This building included an indoor tan barkering for riding, a stable area for one hundred hourses, and an elaborately decorated private room for Mr. Vanderbilt.
Do you have information to add? Then please contact Diane Holliday.
Last Modified on January 30, 2012, at 11:05 AM by LPR