The second Idle Hour Mansion was constructed between 1900 - 1904.
The second Idle Hour Mansion
The Main House, the Cloistered Walkways, and the Palm Garden were all designed by the architect Richard Howland Hunt between 1900 - 1902. The Tennis Court and Bachelor Wing was designed by the architectural firm of Warren and Wetmore, and constructed between 1902–1904. During that same time period, Warren and Wetmore redesigned the interior of the Palm Garden, making its interior Turkish themed.
When viewed from the air, the mansion is in the shape of an arrow pointing due north. The two wings of the main house making the point of the arrow and the tennis court wing making the feathers of the arrow.
The Cloistered Walkways during the Vanderbilt Era. The Cloistered Walkways Today.
The Palm Garden, Now known as the Conservatory
The Bachelor and Tennis Court Wing, Now known as the Kramer Science Center
The Courtyard Garden.
The Fives Court
Do you have information to add? Then please contact Diane Holliday.
Last Modified on April 02, 2014, at 01:25 PM by DH